Institute Diversity, in collaboration with the Office of the Vice Provost for Graduate Education and Faculty Development and Georgia Tech’s ADVANCE Program, is offering 90-minute Implicit Bias Workshops designed for faculty. All faculty who serve on reappointment, promotion, and/or tenure committees and faculty search committees are required to participate in an Implicit Bias Workshop pursuant to Provost Bras’ memo in October 2016 to academic leaders. However, all instructional and research faculty are welcomed to attend as space permits.
The goals of these workshops are to increase awareness of the impact of implicit bias and facilitate equitable decision-making across myriad processes related to faculty evaluations.
As a participant in the workshop, you will learn the following:
- An introduction to the concept of implicit bias and how these unconscious, automatic mental processes may impact behaviors such as evaluating candidates during faculty search and/or RPT processes.
- Empirical research on vitaes, letters of recommendations, and teaching evaluations to illustrate the impact of implicit bias on decisions.
- Effective practices and strategies for faculty search and RPT committees.
During fall semester 2018, five Implicit Bias Workshops will be offered for faculty on:
- Wednesday, August 29 from noon to 1:30 p.m. [This workshop is now full; if interested, please register for one of the other workshops this fall.]
- Wednesday, September 12 from 11:15 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. [This workshop is now full; if interested, please register for one of the other workshops this fall.]
- Thursday, October 11 from noon to 1:30 p.m. [This workshop is now full; if interested, please register for one of the other workshops this fall.]
- Tuesday, October 30 from noon to 1:30 p.m. [This workshop is now full; if interested, please register for one of the other workshops this fall.]
- Monday, November 5 from 11:15 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. [Click Here to Register]
Lunch will be provided, and after registering, you will receive a reminder email one week prior to your workshop date.
These workshops will be facilitated by Julie Ancis, associate vice president, Institute Diversity; Paul Benkeser, senior associate chair and professor, Wallace H. Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering; Harris Dimitropoulos, associate professor, School of Architecture; Robert Kirkman, associate professor, School of Public Policy; Mark Mitchell, associate director, Georgia Tech Research Institute; and/or Michelle Rinehart, associate dean for academic affairs and outreach, College of Design.